On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:52:45AM +0900, John Belmonte wrote:
> Daniel Silverstone wrote:
> > > I'll let the list know once it's official, but here's to Lua finally
> > > making it into a widely used Linux Distribution.
> >
> > Done :)
> >
> > Lua is now part of Debian GNU/Linux (unstable -- sid)
>
> I'm a fan of both Debian and Lua, but allow me to play devil's advocate...
> what is the purpose of the binary distribution?  Who is it useful to and
> how?

A fair question, and although I don't have much time, here's a couple of
ideas...

When writing scripts in lua, people do use the default lua executable - this
is now installable as a package.

When writing their own lua interpreters, people tend to end up linking
statically, you can now link against lua dynamically and gain all the size
benefits when you have lots of different lua interpreters lying around.

(As a side note, it was asked for, by someone doing something with apache)

Anyway - I have to get in my car and drive 500 miles - see you all later

Dan

--
Daniel Silverstone                               http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Hostmaster, Webmaster, and Chief Code Wibbler          Digital-Scurf Unlimited