RLake@oxfam.org.uk writes:

> I actually quite liked the fact that Lua does functional (in the
> functional programming sense) closures. I'll miss it -- but I guess
> I'm in the minority.

The current version of Lua does not provide "functional (in the
functional programming sense) closures".  The upvalue-less version
coming will provide the kind of closures that are provided by modern
functional programming languages, such as Scheme, and ML.  The whole
point of dumping upvalues is to get real closures!  I promise you that
once you gain experience with the real thing, you won't miss upvalues.

To the Core Lua Team: Congradulations on giving variables in Lua
static nested scope.

To Christian Vogler: Thank you so much for providing lua-mode.el!!!

John