You could always check if it's a userdata of a type you want to
handle by yourself and in every other case, call the rawset/rawget
methods - in this case you could use the tables as usual and you
only need the special handling for your userdata.

That's the way i do it in a first implementation.
I think somtimes later i may optimize this by adding another type of
tag method, something like "setuserdata"/"getuserdata". After a
very quick look at the sources of Lua it seems easy to implement.

I think for tables, you could insert the required code in

void luaV_settable (lua_State *L, StkId t, StkId key)

I haven't done any tests right now, but i let you know when i've
done the changes (don't have the time right now).

Regards,
Michael Flad

--
Fantastic Realms Interactive GmbH