Russell Y. Webb wrote:
> As I understand it, the issue is what are the ideal or desired
> scoping rules for Lua?  It seems that there is a lot of debate
> about terminology, but little disagreement about what would
> be ideal.

Well said.

I think there is the ideal, which Roberto already has a handle on, and an
optional stepping stone which is this: lexical scoping with read-only
access.  This is what John Ramsdell already suggested.  Read-only access
would still necessitate the use of "closure tables", but would at least get
rid of the upvalue syntax.  Write access could be added afterwards.

By the way I've rewritten the wiki LuaScoping page which triggered this fuss
in layman terms.  It even gets a thumbs-up from Mr. Ramsdell.

-John