Is there any concrete release date on 4.1 Alpha yet? I am writing an IDE,
and I could really use some of the functionality in 4.1 alpha (namely
lua_loadbuffer). I need to be able to check to make sure that the code in a
Lua file "compiles" so to speak, without actually running it.

I know that at one point someone on the list suggested just wrapping the
block in a function, like:

function CheckSyntax()
<huge block of Lua code from a file>
end

then using lua_dostring() on that string, but it seems that Lua still
executes the buffer (which makes very little since, unless Lua automatically
executes the first function it finds if no code is found in the global
chunk?).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Matt "Kerion" Holmes
Lead Developer
Lua Studio - The Lua IDE
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/visuallua/