I agree that the dragon book is quite opaque.

An excellent book is Allan Holub's "Compiler Design in C". Besides theory,
this book presents practical implementation details that many other books
leave as an exercise for the reader. I highly recommend it. Also makes
excellent ballast for non-CS types. See Holub's site: http://www.holub.com.

A good online theory book is "Parsing Techniques - A Practical Guide" by
Dick Grune and Ceriel J.H. Jacobs at http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dick/PTAPG.html.

I like Finkel's "Advanced Programming Language Design". It covers design
aspects of many types of languages. Online at
http://cseng.aw.com/book/related/0,3833,0805311912+20,00.html.

There is "Compilers and Compiler Generators an introduction with C++" by
P.D. Terry, Rhodes University, 1996
online at http://scifac.ru.ac.za/compilers/. I have not read it.

Bruce