> In the particular case you're interested in (tinsert), what you're
> really interested in is the version of baselib, which is not necessarily
> the same as the version of Lua

A fair point, which had occurred to me; however, as you say, for practical
purposes the default libraries' version is the same as that of the
accompanying system.

> I think it is appropriate for libraries to identify their versions in a
> documented fashion.

Or perhaps that's overcomplicated. However, if, following LTN 7, there is
general agreement on how libraries should present themselves, and versioning
could be included in this, then the standard libraries would do well to
follow suit.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | Analogy is a midwife, identity a murderer