The tolua framework supports most of what you want to do. Have you
considered using it? It might make your life a lot easier. We use it
for a >50,000-line C++ project and are very happy with it. The only
really ugly part in our lua bindings is mapping reference-counted C++
objects to lua's GC mechanism.

> I could make a new type, which had all of the tag methods of the normal
> Point type, except for a GC, but then anytime I wanted to typecheck
> an object to make sure it's what I think it is, I'd have to check the
> 'non-gc'ed' version, too... there's a lot of room for error in that.

tolua's framework handles this situation perfectly. Give it a try ...

- Christian