> Why don't you try?

If I can find time to understand the sources well enough, I will.

As to the merge sort with linear best case time, the reference is O'Keefe
(1982): A smooth applicative merge sort. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to
be on the web; fortunately, however, an ML implementation is:

http://www.neci.nec.com/PLS/MLton/examples/DATA/basislib/ListSort.sml

As it says there, the explanation is in "ML for the Working Programmer",
which I have (it's where I originally read about the algorithm).

But anyway, just getting a merge sort going at all would be a Good Thing!

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | Careful Cyclists Approaching From Right