Thanks Erik!

Use of "call" helps me somewhat.  However, I end up with a level of
indirection.  I have to creat a "dummy" value in the table, which holds
the table returned by the function.  This is probably a better way
than my first solution, which was to have to functions returning each
of the results.  Guess that would have required evaluation of the
function twice, while this only requires one, on the expense of some
memory usage.

tab2 = {
  attr1 = fun1(tab1.attr1),
  dummy = call(fun2, {tab1.attr1}, "p"),
  attr2 = tab2.dummy[1],
  attr3 = tab2.dummy[2],
}

would like to write:

tab2 = {
  attr1 = fun1(tab1.attr1),
  attr2, attr3 = fun2(tab1.attr1)
}

The two values returned are assigned, the same way as you can inside
functions.  But since "," is used as a separator when construction the
table, it seems like Lua is not able to handle this kind of
expressions.

Guess I'll have to live with the "dummy" then.

Regards,

Hans Ole