I don't think -- I never thought -- that the language itself should be modified. I'm sure lots of apps work just fine with the default-global behavior, and I'm sure the tecgraf
folks had good reasons for their original design.

FWIW, I have not been able to find a patch to 4.x to switch to default-local. I've
started looking into coding one myself.

Jason
379

Tom _ wrote:

I have thought about different ways of achieving this that doesn't break backwards
compatibility.

I think the best solution is to introduce
an additional assignment operator with the
desired semantics (say, ":=").  That requires
no changes to existing code, and it's easy
to do.

(rest of reply snipped...)