In message <003b01c0e721$b5c27150$7d92c3cf@lith.com>, "Jonathan Branam" writes:

> The only real problem that I have had is with Lua's Garbage Collection. It
> seems to cause a pretty large hitch when it runs, and this isn't really
> acceptable. It is also largely unpredictable as to when it will run
> (although I understand that I can control this more).
>
> I am trying to get some feedback on a number of work-arounds that I am
> considering.

Another thing worth considering, because it should be easy to do,
is to replace your implementation of malloc and free (the lua
allocator/garbage collector just uses malloc and free "underneath
(well, actually realloc, but hey)).  We replaced malloc and free
in our application and the GC slowed down by about a factor 30, we
then tweaked our allocator and it sped up again.

There are plenty of malloc/free implementations out there ready to use.

Cheers,
 djones