> > What about using poslib? POSIX has support for dealing with directories.
>
> This is probably what we will do sooner or later. The one thing I
> don't like about it is that I think that this should be a
> operating-system-neutral abstraction on those OSs that support
> directories. POSIX is not as portable as it could be.

Granted, and there are a lot more like this. But this still seems to be
about the libraries rather than the language; I'm interested to know if
you think that Lua is *inherently* more verbose than Perl or Python.
Personally, I struggled with Perl for 2 or 3 years of occasional use, and
each time I came back to it I'd forgotten some key bits of magic, and
spent most of my time while writing trivial scripts looking these up in
the Camel book, which in some ways is not a good reference work.

Even though I only program in Lua a little bit, it's small size and good
reference manual make it easier to remember and use in this respect, and
I've started using it for things I would've used Perl for before.