>You could:
> - track the download numbers
> - track the volume of messages on this list
> - count the number of "Lua + scripting" hits in a search engine

We do all this. We removed the web mirrors at IMPA and Waterloo to try to
concentrate all traffic at www.lua.org (plus it was a hassle to keep 4 web
sites updated).

> - offer some formal support and count how many people contact you

We get very little mail at lua@tecgraf (except for a lot of spam).
I guess most of the questions go to lua-l.

>But... does it matter?  Or to put it differently: once you find out, what
>would you do with that knowledge?

It *does* matter. As we say in the site:

 Evidence that Lua is being widely used helps to ensure further support
 for developing Lua at TeCGraf.

Lua is not a project with its own budget, not even at TeCGraf.
Lua is our (=roberto+celes+lhf) project. In the very least, we can use this
information to show that Lua has an impact and that it's worth to finance us
so that we can keep developing Lua. This helps us get/keep research fellowships
(and the occasional prize :-) ...

Thank you all for your Lua stories. Keep them coming.
--lhf