> At 03:27 PM 10/4/2000 +0100, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> >I tried compiling up lua 4.0b under mingwin (well, cygwin with
> >-mno-cygwin), and the binary crashes on startup with a Windows error
> >box. Building with Cygwin works fine. I get no warnings or errors during
> >compilation; has anyone else had this problem? I can build other mingwin
> >binaries that work (indeed, that's what I spend my time doing, mostly!).
> >

> Today I attempted to build Lua-4.0 using the following:
>
> Windoze 98
> cygwin-1.3.1-1
> gcc-2.95.3-4
> mingw-20010424-1
>
> As with the Reuben Thomas' message from October of last
> year, building with -mno-cygwin appears to be successful
> but lua.exe just hangs when executed (no errors displayed
> in my case and it can be terminated with CTRL-C).  Luac
> *does* work.  Any idea what's going on with lua.exe?

There's a difference here: when I built Lua, it *crashed* on startup (as I
said above), whereas yours hangs. Are you running it perchance from an Emacs
shell? Interactive programs don't tend to work there. Otherwise, I don't
know what's going on, but things do seems to have improved since I last tried.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | plagiarism, n.  the mind burgles