<delurk>

>I would like to cast a dissenting vote here.

I second that motion.

>wish to embed one in their products.  With every platform-specific feature
>you add, you bloat the language for no gain.  (Yes, environment variables
>and paths are platform-specific.  Hell, so are directories for that
>matter.;-)

Without breaking too many NDAs all at once, something like the XBox has a
very anemic file system that wouldn't support any directory or naming
specific features at all.  And the cartridge based systems like N64 don't
have one at all except on their RAM storage cards.

>Perhaps this is fruitful work for add-on libraries instead of language
>changes?

Keeping the language separate from the surrounding utilities is wise, IMHO.

</delurk>