> Have you considered Jed instead of a (presumably much cut-down)
> Emacs?  It looks very Emacs like, and a complete version for
> your dist could be pretty small (though it might require some
> surgery to SLang to attain best minimality).

What is included is actually "Chet's Emacs", "ce", in a 78,737
byte version, not anything derived from the 'real' Emacs.

Tomsrtbt is pretty mature, most of these types of decisions have been
rehashed years ago.  Jed is not even in the ballpark, is way way more
than twice as large.  Give tomsrtbt a try and really look at what is
there and then tell me what you think...

Besides, I use vi.

-Tom