> > What about resurrecting the yacc-based parser, adapting it to the
> > new syntax, and including it in Lua-4.1, even if the default would
> > be to not even compile it? Then it would be easier for users to
> > experiment with changes on the syntax...
>
> I thought about this. It would be convenient for people wishing to extend
> Lua's syntax to make sure they would not be breaking anything. but we
> most certainly do not want to encourage people to create Lua derivatives,
> and still want to call it Lua. So, the yacc file is not going to happen
> (plus it'd be a lot of work.)
> --lhf

I thought that the license was quite clear on non-standard
derivatives:

 * The origin of this package must not be misrepresented; you must not
   claim that you wrote the original package. If you use this package in a
   product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be greatly
   appreciated (but it is not required).

 * Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original package.

Your point that the yacc parser would be a lot of work is fine, but I
disagree with the "encourage" part -- maybe because we come from
different worlds. I am the outcast that creates modified versions for
personal use, just for testing some ideas and for gaining more
knowledge of how the details work; I never do that for group projects
(I am just a lone hobbyist, and so I'm always outside every group),
and I always trust the official versions infinitely more than those
that I've modified, and I submit to upstream everything that I do that
I think is worth.

At this point I can't resist telling a personal story; being
pseudo-rational here won't work. Flames are welcome. :-)

At my university grad students that were not from the computing dept
were not allowed to borrow books from CS library, and got only a 300KB
quota on the computers of the lab controlled by the computing
department, that at one point served the whole university. I felt
treated like an enemy, and luckily some time later I got internet
access from home and stumbled on the GNU project, that had a more
hippy mentality and was much friendlier (Ok, they didn't have to deal
with engineering students!), and now (rays of light, please, plus
trumpets and a choir of angels) I see that being open to cooperation
works better than being afraid. I'll pray to Saint Ignucius of the
Church of Emacs and ask him to illuminate your heart and to make you
understand that happiness comes from sharing all debugging tools with
the public.

  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-manifesto.html