Hi lhf, rtt, and everybody,

>>So, yes we need a good way to add third party libraries to an existing Lua
>>executable without having to recompile it.
>
>I think loadlib can help here: http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~rborges/loadlib/
>--lhf

But loadlib does not work with Lua 4.0... I tried to patch it a little
to make it work with 4.0 but couldn't (it would be the first time I
programmed a Lua extension in C, BTW), and I ended up reimplementing a
much simpler "loadlib" function, whose bulk is just this

--snip--snip--
#include <lualib.h>
#include <dlfcn.h>

static int loadlib(lua_State *L) {
  void *libptr;
  lua_CFunction f;
  libptr=dlopen(lua_tostring(L, 1), RTLD_LAZY);
  if (libptr==0)
    luaL_argerror(L, 1, "dlopen cannot open shared library");
  else {
    f=dlsym(libptr, lua_tostring(L, 2));
    if (f==0)
      luaL_argerror(L, 2, "dlsym cannot find init function");
    else
      f(L);
  }
  return 0;
}

LUALIB_API void lua_loadlib_open(lua_State *L) {
  lua_register(L, "loadlib", loadlib);
}
--snip--snip--

For how to install it and test it, how to download the Debian package,
how to recompile it include this function in the library, etc, etc,
see:

  <http://angg.twu.net/e/lua.e.html>

Cheers, and please provide feedback,
  Eduardo Ochs