Reuben Thomas wrote:

> This ties in with my (seemingly ignored!) suggestion about componentizing
> Lua, or alternatively put, specifying some of its internal APIs. The GC
API
> was one of the things I suggested formalizing.

I don't think it would be easy... especially not before we have experience
plugging in a few different GC's.

For example the incremental collector I mentioned uses write barriers,
meaning some bookkeeping needs to be done when a structure is altered.  That
affects the VM, table implementation, etc.

-John