>I was expecting to at least see a file in the ftp directory that mentioned
>these sorts of "non-issues", or a collection of patches or something.

Below is a list of all known bugs in 4.0. They are all very minor bugs;
the fixes are essentially one liners, and were posted to the list.
I'll see what can be done about a patch file.

>I then downloaded it on my linux box
>and it worked fine. After copying the .gz file to windows, WinZip was happy

If anyone had problems with the archives in Windows, please let me know.
If anyone knows how to fix it, please let us know.
--lhf

** lparser.c
Wed Nov 29 09:51:44 EDT 2000
>> parser does not accept a `;' after a `return'
(by lhf; since 4.0b)

** liolib.c
Fri Dec 22 15:30:42 EDT 2000
>> when `read' fails it must return nil (and not no value)
(by cassino; since at least 3.1)

** lstring.c/lapi.c
Thu Feb  1 11:55:45 EDT 2001
>> lua_pushuserdata(L, NULL) is buggy
(by Edgar Toernig; since 4.0)

** ldo.c
Fri Feb  2 14:06:40 EDT 2001
>> «while 1 dostring[[print('hello\n')]] end» never reclaims memory
(by Andrew Paton; since 4.0b)

** lbaselib.c
Tue Feb  6 11:57:13 EDT 2001
>> ESC (which starts precompiled code) in C is \33, not \27
(by Edgar Toernig and lhf; since 4.0b)