> I'm wondering if it's a problem with RISC OS' FPE, because Lua

I'm not running RISC OS on my Acorn at the moment, but under Linux the
script you give also works fine (except that the format returns 2147483647
rather than -21....8). I think GCC under ARM Linux also uses (a variant of)
the FPE, no?

In fact, there's no problem with the behaviour under RISC OS: the C89
standard doesn't say that floating point exceptions should be disabled by
default (as I believe C99 does).

So you should disable them (if possible). I had to do this under EPOC to
make divisions by zero work (what happens with those under RISC OS?).

Under ARM Linux, print(1/0) gives "inf" as expected.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.