My patches were to 3.0 and not really extensively tested.  I had the luxury
of using Lex and Yak back then.

The trick was to do some conditional check upon write to globals and make
sure that write access was on for them.  If writing to globals is rare (as
it should be usually) then the performance hit was small.

Russ