>why isn't it the case that a semicolon must always be present to end the
>statement?

Lua as designed to be used by non-programmers, or at least, not professional
programmers and we decided that semicolons would be a source of trouble.
For this audience, demanding semicolons to end statements would not make sense.

On the other hand, we ended up with a situation where semicolons are virtually
useless, because they cannot be used to remove ambiguities in code. The only
real use of semicolons is for readbility, as in "a=b  c=d", which reads better
when written "a=b;  c=d".
Unfortunately, it's not something that can be changed now.
--lhf