> Why the need to do that?  That leads to hard-to-read code that is no more
> efficient than a easier to understand layout.  Are we going to have an
> Obfuscated Lua Code Contest?

Let me say that while I do think every statement should return a value, I'm
not in favour of inlined assignments. Although I do like the ability to
cascade assignments:

a = b = c = 1;

But once you've got every statement returning a value, it's perhaps a little
hard to prevent the horrible C style of assignments (which I have to admit I
use in C, for brevity and efficiency).

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/
L'art des vers est de transformer en beautés les faiblesses (Aragon)