> I know.  Nobody wants 'foo(a)(b)' changed.  But be honest,
> did you expect or want that in the special form 'foo "a" "b"'?

Yes. It's exactly the same thing. "foo a b" should apply "foo" to "a" and
then apply the result to "b", whatever a and b are. This sort of special
case would be rather like some of the hideous things that Visual BASIC
does, like changing the mode of parameter passing depending on how you
call a procedure. I want referential transparency: what happens if I do:

a = "foo"
b = "bar"
baz a b

? What rule should apply here?