I've made an RPM of Lua 4.0b (source and Intel binaries). Would you like
them, and the spec file?

I had one small problem which doesn't really matter: a warning about
implicit definition of popen. Looking at Linux's /usr/include/stdio.h, it
requires a symbol such as __USE_POSIX2 to be defined in order to define
popen. I tried defining this symbol, but for some reason it didn't
help. However, I don't think this will affect the operation of the
program.

I also use a patch file which makes slight changes to the standard
configuration:

1. Install to man1, not manl as *.1, not *.man
2. Define -DPOPEN
3. Set RANLIB=true (not required under Linux)
4. Use install, not cp
5. Use $RPM_OPT_FLAGS, not -O2; this adds an -march flag on many systems

In addition, I make the shared libraries and binaries, and install only
the shared libs. This makes the binary sizes very small:

[16:12:29 redhat]# ls -l /usr/bin/lua*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         8.3k Oct  6 16:06 /usr/bin/lua*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          12k Oct  6 16:06 /usr/bin/luac*

The whole package, including the ~200kb of HTML files, is under
400kb. There seems no point in having a separate lua-devel RPM.

If anyone would like to test the RPM before I upload it to appropriate
places, it's at

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rrt1001/lua-4.0b-1.{i386,src}.rpm

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | aphorism, n.  a wise lie