I tried compiling up lua 4.0b under mingwin (well, cygwin with
-mno-cygwin), and the binary crashes on startup with a Windows error
box. Building with Cygwin works fine. I get no warnings or errors during
compilation; has anyone else had this problem? I can build other mingwin
binaries that work (indeed, that's what I spend my time doing, mostly!).

I'm using Cygwin 1.1.4, but had the same problem with B20.1. I'm also
using the latest version of 4.0b; I changed nothing in the config file
except to comment out _POSIX_SOURCE and add -mno-cygwin to CFLAGS, and to
the relevant lines of the lua and luac Makefiles.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | certain, a.  insufficiently analysed