Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> For most uses, a simple «if modulename then return end» will
> do the job. Although the module will be compiled, usually
> the compile time is negligible. If you have really big modules,
> or modules that are re-inserted too many times, then you may
> need a more eficient solution. A redefinition of `dofile'
> seems to work fine:  (I din't test it)

Thanks-- that's what I needed.  I didn't test it out either, but it looks
like it will work.

I'm glad you guys are thinking about solutions like this to address
providing equivalent functionality.  That's especially true for people like
me who are working in embedded environments where we don't have the ability
to use hackish solutions like preprocesing with CPP or other related
techniques.