> I just wondered... Is the grammar for Lua so constructed that
> there never will arise ambiguities requiring the use of semicolons?

We hope so.

> That is -- are they there for readability concerns only?

Yes.

> (As far as I can see this is the case, but proving or disproving
> it seems a bit challenging... :)

Until version 3.1 (or something like that) the Lua parser was written in
yacc, and it did the job of proving that Lua's grammar had no ambiguities.
Since we left yacc, the grammar changed very little, so we are quite
confident that it still has no ambiguities. (But the proof is over...)

-- Roberto