Sorry, I guess I wasn't descriptive enough in my question.

I'm looking for a value that I can use in my C code to indicate that an integer is not storing a valid reference, much like the NULL value is used for indicating invaild pointers or LUA_NOOBJECT for lua_Object's. The requirement on this value is that lua_ref() will never return that value.

It seems that the references start with 0, 1, 2, etc. so I was hoping that the value -1 could be safely be used to indicate an invalid reference.

Max