I don't know if anyone has noticed this but if you have MSDevStudio you can edit Lua with syntax highlighting on. Just alter the properties -> Language to VBS Macro for your Lua script. The keywords are very similar and it works quite well! I assume this will work for other editors that support VBS (for writing those lovely viruses! ;-).

And, if you change case'~': to case '!': in luaX_lex, ~= becomes != (no more typos!) and the highlighting works on all your operators!

Hope this helps!
Nick