>From lua-l@tecgraf.puc-rio.br  Tue Jun 20 09:05:43 2000
>From: Martin_Doering@mn.man.de
>
>I got a 16 bit DOS Lua 4.0 alpha executable from Mike Goodey, and it
>starts up. I did a few commands, and it worked. I don't know, which
>compiler he uses.
>
>life.lua:
>error: too many items in a list initializer (limit=-192);

The limit is wrong, of course. The faulty line is

    checklimit(ls, n, MAXARG_A*LFIELDS_PER_FLUSH,
               "items in a list initializer");
The multiplication overflows 16 bits.

In Lua 4.0 beta (to-be-released-soon :-), this has been changed to

    luaX_checklimit(ls, n/LFIELDS_PER_FLUSH, MAXARG_A,
               "`item groups' in a list initializer");

In general, we have made several of these small changes to make sure that
Lua works in 16-bit platforms.
--lhf