Bruno,
 >> .."would be nice to have at least for windows programmers" category,
 >> ..it's nice not to have to touch the distribution source code

  Agreed, would be very nice.  But if it doesn't fit with the overall Lua
philosophy, then I'd have to admit that it's not strictly necessary.  I
think if you look at the Lua build as an isolated case, then it's not
required, and you can "cheat" by using global switches and such during the
build (which is what I was alluding to).  However, as you point out, the
application which _uses_ that DLL will have to have it specified, whether
it's via a C header, Pascal unit or BASIC module (or other).  And if it
happens to be C, then it'd be nice to have the support built in to the
headers.

  Cheers,

  Dave