I haven't tried this with Lua 4.0a yet.  I think it's kind of strange that
you can't load the following code in Lua 3.2:

tmp = [[this script could save
$ if you could load it]]

Of course, this is because of the preprocessor.  The docs do correctly
describe this behavior, still is this a good thing?  Shouldn't the contents
of strings be protected from all other parsing?  I'd hate to be a user
scripting something and have to figure this out.

Yes, I did actually run into this during normal programming (believe it or
not).

Russ