At 11:17 20/04/00 -0300, Martin Dvorak wrote:
The only objections against Lua were small things like
uneasy
implementation of OOP, absence of interger numeric type or problem with
global variables
being the default - that is things rising from the fact that Lua language
was designed
to be simple configuration language. If we've not needed great control over
the
interpreter and the speed of it, Python would be the best choice because the
design
of this language perfectly suits our needs, it's very clean and synoptic,
and it is
much faster to develop larger program in Python than in Lua.
So, in my opinion, it is no doubt that Python is better language than Lua.

Hi Martin,

From this point of view, Java is a "better language" than Lua and Python.
Just to emphasize some previous messages,
each of those languages is a "better language" for some specific job,
and they are designed with different goals.

I think the following paper could give a good insight into this subject:
  author = "John Ousterhout",
  title = "Scripting: Higher Level Programming for the 21st Century",
  journal = "IEEE Computer",
  year = "1998",
  month = mar,
  volume = "31",
  number = "3",
  pages = "23-30"

BTW, what do you suggest instead of "global variables being the default"?
I think Roberto gave a good explanation about this topic some months ago
in the mailing list:
http://www.egroups.com/message/lua-l/961

Regards,
Renato