> I think this would be a great feature. Good for embedded systems
> and "threads"
> (in games!). Suppose you could use some kind of compression as well for
> serialisation. Would be especially good now Lua is properly
> reentrant (I think I
> read that on here).

IMHO, it would be best for Lua itself not to deal with compression or
I/O (or at least leave an option not to do so). The application would
use its own system for writing/reading to disk or whatever. I now have
a scheme where a Lua object has a 'save' and 'load' method that call
C entry points, but this requires the script to know what to load and
to save, which it shouldn't have to deal with.

--
Lyrian