 just give some memory (including the state info) and all allocation
 was done through this

Converting Lua's memory manager to use a memory pool is easy thanks to
their
centralized allocation handlers. You could also tie this into the
garbage
collection to optimize when free memory  is tight.

I'm not sure though why you can't use the existing methods of
dumping the entire program state out to a text file.  That ability
in there right now right?  Why do you need to go at it from the
lowest level - the memory everything is stored in.  This is where
your going to run into cross platform issues.  Using some sort
of standardized format in a text or binary file to load your
objects and state back into the vm would be simpler I think.

Regards,
Jim