I would have to agree with Nick.  In my experience building
software that uses autoconf and automake can be a pain when
automake and autoconf are not available.  Even with the
.generic files things can go wrong.

As it stands, Lua is one of a *very* few systems (tools, libs,
etc...) that comes in source form that I can rely on to build
with virtually zero work regardless of platform.