   I have another idea for you.  I've since compiled your code, and I don't
know if this is related, or a side-effect or what, but...

 >> next(VarName, IndexName) still give me the same index, looping forever.

   It didn't loop forever for me, but I did get an access violation on this
line:

 >> while (Varindex <> (#0))

   which seems to be the result of "(#0)".  Typecasting it to pchar (as you
do on an earlier line), or testing directly against Nil, or using the
Assigned() function all seemed to work.  I was just dumping your Var*'s to
a memo and it correctly reported all that I had defined.  Then stopped.  ;)

   Cheers,

   Dave