On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Jim Mathies wrote:
>Why is the Java 1.2.1 greatly improved over the 1.1.6 vm?
>From 44.1 to 1.2?

   That was a big surprise for me as well. I originally used 1.1.6 since
   1.2.1 in my experience tends to be slower. It's even more surprising
   since this is with the Classic(non-hotspot) VM. It looks like 1.2 is
   a mixed bag on speed -- it's definitely slower for GUI stuff, but
   for some numerics it looks pretty reasonable.

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> How can the Java 1.2.1 version be so much faster than C?
> (isn't Java implemented in C?)

   My guess here is that MSVC without optimizations isn't particularly
   tweaked. I just did a quick test with MSVC at -O2 and it was right
   around .3 seconds.

_Ken