> From lua-l@tecgraf.puc-rio.br  Tue Jul 20 11:29:25 1999
> From: "Michael T. Richter" <mtr@igs.net>
>
> I've never quite understood the motives of people who would say "no" to a
> newsgroup dealing with a subject they have no interest in one way or
> another.  Do they just get off on saying "I don't want people to talk about
> things I'm not interested in" or something?

Again, I strongly suggest you read the news.groups archives.

I don't agree with their logic, so I'm not the best person to defend them.
They do have some good rational arguments, however.

http://www.scifipi.com/faqs/ngroups.html

Will help you understand why there needs to be a process at all.

Beyond that a little digging into old news.groups posts will help you.

--Adam