> Has anyone tried changing 'number' to use ints instead of floats
> or doubles?  What kind of problems are encountered doing this?

I did this, and did not have trouble. I am not using Lua extensively
though, and I might have missed some problems.
I had to change not only the occurences of the types themselves and
the main LUA_NUMBER (if I recall well) define, but also another
define (can't remember the name exactly, but somthing like ID_NUMBER,
to be set to ID_INT4 I think).
The Good Thing is that there are comments placed at the places where
to make changes if you change one of these definitions. You can track
what to modify very easily with that.

Vincent Penquerc'h

"4 GB ought to be enough for anybody."