I don't like the scoping rules either.  I brought this issue up last year
and even when as far as modifying the scoping rules myself.

The combination of the following attributes makes it difficult to do
large projects and cause typo bugs that are hard to find:
1. creating variables by assignment
2. variables inside functions defaulting to global (this is the worst one
in my opinion).
3. having undefined variables be equal to NIL

The two options I thought of are
1. just make variable assignment default to local inside functions
2. require declaration of all globals and locals inside functions

Both options break old code though.  So the would need to be a
variable_mode or a new "function" keyword.  The second option kind of
goes against the "easy to write code" model of lua.  Option one coupled
with requiring all locals to be declared (as it is now) is the best solution.
Assigning to something not declared as local or as an arguement would be
an error.

Russ