> FWIW, I needed an "unsigned long" version of lua and had to do the
> same thing. :)

I jumped into the code, and found out what to change. It works very
well. I just had to change the 'double' 's in a few headers and their
respective C files, as well as moving ID_NUMBER to ID_INT4 (if I recall
well, that was all). That 'grep LUA_NUMBER' idea is a real time saver :)
All was done real quick !
Did you spot anything else you had to change and I could have left out ?
The thing I was not sure about was formatting ... Lua formats numbers as
%g, and it's in the docs, so I left this out ... Since it formats long's
OK...

Vincent Penquerc'h