> There is the Lua-Linux package by Chris Gonnerman (at
> http://members.linuxstart.com/~solomoriah/lua-linux.html) that uses two
> functions for dynamic loading: loadpackage and require. Maybe it's
> worthwhile to agree on common names across platforms?

There is a guy here (Renato Borges) that already implemented a cross
platform load package facility (for Linux, Solaris, Windows and others). It
is called "loadlib: Dynamic library loading facilities for use with the Lua
language". I am not sure whether he is shy ("travando"?) or he is not
reading the list, but for sure you should see his implementation before
defining a more general solution. If he does not show up in the list, he
can be contacted directly at <rborges@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>.

-- Roberto