 Roberto and lhf:

 Thanks for the reply. I knew of the solutions you proposed.
With due respect, I thing they are a bit cumbersome.
Why not add support for the "\x0123EFC" notation in lua 3.2?

 I'm sure people who use lua to configure and/or test system or
communications software will be happy. They (we) think in hexa.
Since lua 3.1 strings can contain arbitrary data, why not also
make the notation for specifying that data more "arbitrary"?

 Other than that, I like lua/luac/tolua very much.

 Best regards,

- Mario Cardona
  Matsushita Electric Works, Ltd.
  Tokyo Network Laboratory