> Steve Dekorte wrote:
> > Could you please translate these acronyms?
>
> Sure ...
>
> >From http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~celes/works/edg.html
>
> EDG is a system to support development of data entry
> programs. The system allows manipulation of graphics objects
> (graphics primitives and
> group of primitives). The programmer can associate callback
> actions to these graphics objects, thus creating active
> objects. To compose
> interface dialogs, EDG allows access to the interface
> objects from IUP user interface system, with an abstraction
> using Lua programming
> language. The system was implemented using C and C++.
> (1993-94)
>
> I can't find where I saw the reference to IUP/LED right now
> but I believe it's something in a similar vein as EDG.

 No problem.

 From: http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/manuais/iup

 IUP are "Sistema Portátil de Interface com o Usuário" (Portable User Interface
 System).
 LED - "Linguagem de Especificação de Diálogos" (Dialogs Specification Language)

 Minimizing the amount of code that must be written and maintained is
 particularly critical in the development of the user interface for a highly
 interactive system, since the code for the user interface represents a
 substantial part of the application. This is especially important where the
 interactive system is available on a number of distinct platforms.
 Providing a single user interface abstraction requiring only one set of
 source code that can be mapped automatically into specific interface systems
 appears to be the preferred approach; but the underlying model must be
 designed carefully in order to keep the system relatively simple, easy to use
 and maintain, and allow ease of experimentation as user interfaces are
 produced. We describe the design and implementation of IUP/LED, a portable
 user interface toolkit that we believe has these properties. The toolkit is
 designed for rapid prototyping and modification, to provide a look-and-feel
 appropriate to a specific computing environment, is easily expanded to
 support new interface developments, and supports an abstract layout model.
 We also present a summary of the experiences in using the toolkit
 to indicate that it does support the original design objectives.

 Andre Derraik

 Andre Luiz Behrensdorf Derraik        e-mail: andre@tecgraf.puc-rio.br
 TeCGraf / FPLF / PUC-Rio              Pager: +55-21-508-1001 cod.84186
 Rua Marques de Sao Vicente, 225 Predio ITS      Phone: +55-21-529-9424
 22453-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil              FAX: +55-21-259-2232