Our cheesy solution to this problem:

We modified the lua_state structure to contain an extra variable, and we
stuck a check into the main VM loop to do a lua_error if it is set.  This
way we can stop a running lua thread.  It works fine, it just is kind of
a hack and every time a new lua comes out we have to modify the new
version to contain this hack.

Dan