Hello

Before I embark on a length research trip, I was wondering if you could
possibly help me make up my mind in selecting a interpreter for a embedded
microcontroller. The CPU I are using is a Motorola 68332. I am developing a
robotic controller language using a interpreter as the abstraction layer
between the PC and controller board or controller board to controller board.
As you might have guessed we were looking into using a distributive
interpreter. The following requirements are needed.

1. Small ( about 128K+), we have 1Mb of flash ram to play with
2. Interpreter able to understand  distributive processing across CPU's
3. Works in a real-time operating system (we are using RTEMS which is a
military released OS)

I would like to use the same tool chain that I have developed on a Linux box
for another project which was a humidity and temperature controller. This
project used YACC/Flex as the interpreter and used a simple but effective
syntax. I am using the same board (it was a bit of a overkill for the
previous project, 8 I/O channels 4 DAC's, 4 ADC's, 2 TPU's etc. I would
however like to change the interpreter and I do not have the time to develop
a interpreter form scratch. The interpreter will be embedded on PC software
(Windows) as well , so as to provide another abstraction layer. Do you have
any reservations in using Lau ? Our application is controlling a Robotic
Sample Processor that is used in blood grouping a liquid handing systems.
This project will however be a prototype and a new stage in our company
robotic control methods. I am looking into using a more advance interpreter
so as to make the scripts that control the robot more human readable and
easier to program ( you need a degree in rocket science at the moment and
end-users do not have a hope in hell of doing it themselves).

Do you have any other ideas of an interpreter. I am currently looking at the
following.

Python, YACC/Flex,Sheme,IVY,Perl,S-Lang, TCl

Thanks in advance

Serge Eaton

*/Serge Eaton			  */
*/Software Development Engineer */
*/Zenyx Scientific		  */

The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your
eyes then steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell.